The Valenzetti Equation
Little is known about the Equation itself—the only person in the world who has a copy, according to Gary Troup, is Alvar Hanso.
Furthermore, in the interview linked above, we learn that Alvar Hanso bought not only all copies of Troup's Valenzetti Equation book but also the rights to reprint it.
The actual Valenzetti Equation itself is often described by most people as "predicting when the world will end." However, this is inaccurate.
According to the Valenzetti entry at LostPedia, which is "cited by Speaker as being 'VERY accurate'," the Valenzetti Equation is actually a prediction of how many years are left before human beings are killed off as a result of global nuclear warfare. Sometime after the Cuban Missile Crisis was over on October 28, 1962, the U. N. commissioned Valenzetti to perform a study to determine how likely global nuclear warfare would become. He completed his work less than a year later. In light of this context, the Valenzetti Equation seems to be a type of special Cold War game theory.
No one knows specifically how much time the Valenzetti Equation says we have left—if Gary Troup's claim is true, only Alvar Hanso has access to this information. However, since the Equation was most likely developed from Valenzetti's extensive knowledge of politics, social struggle, population forecasting, and game theory, it seems probable that, given enough resources, one could duplicate his work.
If more information is discovered about the Valenzetti Equation, it will be posted here.
Summary of Facts about the Equation:
- It predicts when everyone will die from global nuclear warfare.
- Enzo Valenzetti developed a year after the Cuban Missle Crisis.
- Alvar Hanso is the only person in the world who has a copy of it.
- Gary Troup wrote a book about it called The Valenzetti Equation.
- Alvar Hanso bought all the copies of Troup's book and the copyright.
- No one outside the Hanso Foundation has access to the Equation.
- Very few people inside the Hanso Foundation have access to it.
Gary Troup - A summary of The Valenzetti Equation by Gary Troup
Interview - A transcript of Gary Troup's interview on Book Talk
Game Theory - Wikipedia entry on game theory
- Matt the Pale